Winter is here! With cold, come a lot of potential issues. Fire safety is extra important this time of year, so local fire departments are sending out a public service announcement with some great tips to get you through winter safely:

  • Make sure your heating sources are still working good.
  • With all of the extra goodies after Christmas, make sure to keep at least 3 feet of space between heat sources and anything that can burn.
  • All homes should have a carbon monoxide alarm on each level of the home, even if there is not gas burning appliances in the home.
  • Carbon monoxide can be produced by anything that burns and can be sucked into your home through your heating system.

Fire experts also have a site that offers tips on how to customize an emergency kit your family! Click here -- and have a fun and safe winter!

More From KMGWFM