If you are moving this spring or summer the Better Business Bureau of Eastern Washington is warning you about illegal moving companies operating in the Washington State.

Moving companies operating in Washington must have a valid permit from the UTC in order to legally provide residential moving services. If you hire an illegal moving company you may have little or no recourse if your belongings are damaged, lost, or stolen.

Oregon moving companies must have a certificate of authority issued by the Oregon Department of Transportation in order to provide regulated moving services, as well as a valid USDOT number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Better Business Bureau officials say before you hire a company check for certification. Do your research. Compare costs and always get a written estimate.

More From KMGWFM