Sunnyside Cinco De Mayo Shooter Awaiting Trial at Home
It could have been a deadly shooting. It happened at the Sunnyside Cinco De Mayo Celebration in May. A 13-year-old was arrested for shooting into the crowd. Five people were hit with bullets. Authorities say 13-year-old Angel Mendoza is a known gang member in the Sunnyside area and was firing at another gang member at the festival when the shots injured an adult and four kids. A court affidavit says a 35-year-old man was struck in the leg, a 12-year-old boy was hit in the lip and tongue, a 6-year-old girl was hit in the leg, and two boys, ages 16 and 14, were shot in the legs.
After the shooting officers took two juveniles into custody at the event and 5 others were detained at a home in the 600 block of Harrison Avenue in Sunnyside. While police found a gun inside the house the 7 juveniles were released to their parents. Mendoza, the only juvenile arrested faces five counts of first-degree assault in Yakima County Juvenile Court.
The teen won't face charges as an adult
Yakima County Prosecutor Joe Brusic says the teen will be charged and tried in juvenile court. But during a pre-trial hearing last week the 13-year-old Mendoza was released from Juvenile jail. The judge blamed the Sunnyside Police Department saying the department failed to provide reports in a timely manner to Mendoza's defense attorney which would have allowed him to prepare for the trial.
The teen was released to his mom
As a result the 13 year old Mendoza was released to his mother. He's now being supervised at home 24/7 and any violation, like leaving the home could place him back behind bars.
His trial in Juvenile court is set for July 25.